Our namesake, Silas Huntington, was an itinerant Methodist minister who established more than 100 churches throughout Northeastern Ontario from 1180 to 1905. He explored this region by canoe and train in order to reach out to the loggers, Native peoples, rail road workers and settler families from many parts of the world. He was active in community development throughout the north.
Huntington University was founded in 1960 as a federated university of Laurentian University. The course of study was in Religious Studies and Philosophy and it was affiliated with the United Church.
The Huntington Crest was designed in 1961 by Huntington student Daniel Racicot, who also wrote the words for the Huntington Song (to the tune of “Auld Lang Sang”).
The present day Huntington University logo contains five elements which represent: education, history, the Northern Ontario region and its founder, Silas Huntington, all enveloped within a symbolic water drop.
The water drop is representative of pure, flowing, flexible, water.
The open book is symbolic of knowledge, wisdom, learning and culture.
The evergreen tree is distinctive of the coniferous trees of Northern Ontario; symbolically is stands for the slow but steady growth and increasing strength rooted in the past, and reaching upwards to the future.
The Hebrew text states, “Hayah Ka-ez”, a quotation from the Bible, Psalm 1:3: “He shall be like a tree.”